Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sole Travel Day 1

26 June 2010

Took a flight out of Bangalore this morning. I am carrying enough stuff to set up a Red Cross camp in Dharmashala. Last-minute stuffing random things in a backpack can do that. Reached Delhi the middle of a heat-wave and melted into the tarmac.

Met Sachin after 3 weeks.He has been travelling through Manali and Vashishth with friends. He looks tanned and gorgeous, and is full of tales of hot water springs and 4-day treks to Kirganga. Glad to note he is not in his usual Mr.Grumpy mode.

Srkanth and Robin have this lovely duplex house in Gurgaon. Smells and looks like a boys' pad and I mean that in the most complimentary way I can. Brought back memories of Symbi and vegging out in a friend's house in Pashan.

We went for a quick lunch and tank up to this drinking hole called Howzzat. Is a microbrewery. Has a cricketing theme, though they were screening the World Cup. The chairs are in the shape of huge human hands. Dont ask me how it goes into the theme, the overall effect is of privacy and luxury. I settled myself into the middle finger and ordered up a wheat beer and crumb fried chicken. Felt like earth mother and Colonel Sanders rolled into one. The crumb fried chicken was decadent, the beer in an impossibly tall mug was surprisingly un-bitter and super refreshing.

Evening time saw us heading out for some more liquid nourishment. Sri took us to Khan market. To the non-Delhiite, that's like a street full of eateries and shops. We went to a place called Chonars (mix of Pecos and Satya Bar). Food in Delhi is stroke-inducingly costly. But since I was not paying, I ordered willy-nilly. A pepper chicken, fish chilly, LIIT, and a vodka and red bull later, I realised I luuurrveeed Delhi.

Do not remember much else about the night. Am told there was a chocolate gelato, not-so-gentle snoring in the backseat of Sri's car and popping of Allegra to keep the sinus allergy at bay.

2 comments:

rEEna said...

WTF! nice :)
Sound like so much fun and wish I could join you too! :(
Haffun and take care

rEEna

nischal said...

@ree...come off...this place is peeeeerrrrfect!!!!!!!