Monday, February 18, 2008

Empty Nest Syndrome: Confessions of an Out of Steam Runner

Kaveri Trail Marathon , Bangalore Ultra, Mumbai Marathon...November, December and January zoomed past me in a fast and furious whizz.

Upside: Woweee, what an amazing way to end a year and start the new one. To top it, I am now eligible to be an official Marathon Maniac.

Downside: Am in the deep end of the post-running depression. Almost a month after the Mumbai marathon, the limbs still feel blue and absolutely tuckered out. The unused Gatorade bottles are staring at me befuddled, never before have they been so blatantly ignored. Most marathon pundits suggest that you rest for at least 26 days after a marathon, one day for every mile that you run. Ho-hum, I want to train for another race NOW, my stubborn mind screams.

I have run many fun runs in between, most of them with the Bangalore Hash, but Holy Chameli, I want my mojo back... this Saturday, I dragged my protesting feet for a run around a few blocks. Managed the fattest-ass 24 K ever, where I spent most of my time on feet hurling abuses at the blackguards on wheels trying to mow me down. So much for encouraging sport amongst women!!

The recovery period has had its few moments of glory. I have begun strength training sessions with Rajat at the Manipal Hospital, they are infinitely different from the testosterone laden gym workouts you will get across Bangalore. Resumed my kickboxing classes last week. Still find it difficult to distinguish my left from my right, but my abs were screaming bloody mercy for 2 days after my "welcome back" session. My poor old MTB Thunder has been packed off to the bike clinic to get spruced up again. Time to get back on the saddle.

Fortunately or otherwise, all my runner buddies: Athreya, Sabine, Sunil et al seem to be wallowing in the same murky aftermath of overtraining and overrunning. My biggest fear: the attack of the Adipose!!! The honeymoon period of guilt free carbo loading is over. It is a simple enough equation. From a rich 2500-3000 calories diet that you were allowed during your 80K a week training sessions, you are suddenly forced to be on a nibbler diet to offset the reduced mileage. No way, sister, I want my chocolate cake, thickly accompanied by two gallons of vanilla icecream. So now after days of negligible runs and humongous marathon feasts, I scour the internet lanes for articles that promise me one unique way of instant weight loss.

I know I need a running plan, a couple of races in the near future to get the adrenalin rushing through me again. It will happen soon, yep, but the wait seems interminable.

12 comments:

manoj said...

Well written.. I was hoping to read the Mumbai marathon narration.. best forgotten, is it?

nischal said...

Just did not think it was worth a blog....

Shantanu said...

hmm and Now Midnight marathon approaching, I guess we need to start training for it again!

Shantanu

Jay said...

Hi Nischal

I just read your blog through, and really enjoyed it. You write well.

I am a beginning runner (six weeks old), who started running with the aim of weight loss, but within the first week had loftily decided to change my goal to run the half marathon in the Bangalore Marathon instead.

I am currently struggling to run 10km in 1 hr. My best so far is 9.44 k.

Ok....enough....I am adding ur blog to my blogroll, and I'll keep coming back for more. Keep writing :)

nischal said...

>> to Japinder,

Thanks for visiting my blog. As you can see, I have been immensely lazy about updating. Wil over this weekend. Keep miling away, it gets better all the time. Are you with RFL or Hash? If not, join us. The slogging away gets to be real fun...
You already seem to be a reasonably fast runner. Most of us slugged it out for a year before we attempted 10 k in an hour...

prakash murthy said...

Run more. Write more. Spread the magic!!

Unknown said...

Hey how is running going now? You still have time to prepare for the blore ultra and beat your last year time.
I hope to get there this year as well, only if I can juggle a work trip around that time.

nischal said...

Hey Girish,

Training for the 100K this year. Hope you are going to be running with me.

Chaggoholic.... said...

Wow lady u seem to hv some freakin energy. All d best for the prep....

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching as far as something that meticulous model. The prices as regards the boots were all over 180 pounds on every site. But completely I set this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what can you tell me about these?

4mp4.net said...

Thank you for your wonderful efforts